7 Ways to Increase Penis Size
*Some of the links contained in Manly Wellness articles were originally affiliate links that generated sales commissions for Manly Wellness when users clicked on them to purchase from Hims or the other companies profiled in the article. These affiliate links have been deactivated but links to Hims’ own product and service pages remain.
Medically reviewed by Katelyn Haggerty, FNP. Last updated 8/17/2021
However, most men end up being overly scrutinizing of themselves and their abilities to satisfy a partner.
Here are some of the facts:
- The average male penis length is 5.2 inches
- Across multiple studies, flaccid (non-erect) penis length averages around 3.61 inches.
- Flaccid circumference or girth averages around 3.67 inches.
- Erect lengths averages around 5.17 inches.
The good news: if you think you’re a bit under-endowed, there are simple ways to add length to your penis.
7 Ways to Increase Penis Size
1. Using a Pump or Traction Device to Increase Length
One of the most popular ways to increase penis size is by stretching it either with your hands or a device.
Stretching exercises with your hands include massaging the tissue along the length of your penis.
Similar to working out a muscle in order to increase the size, stretching the penis this way is intended to stretch the skin and create micro-tears in the tissue.
These micro-tears enlarge when they heal, which makes the penis look larger, although there’s no proof that this method works long-term.
The easiest device to use for increasing penis size is a penis pump, a cylindrical-shaped, air filled chamber meant to create a vacuum to elongate the penis for an extended period of time.
As expected, penis pumps can create an immediate erection and lengthen the erection while it’s in the pump because of the forced increase in blood flow within the blood vessels in the penis.
With regular use, some men claim that it will permanently increase the length. Traction devices are also popular, devices that are a little different from pumps. While pumps are used to temporarily increase size, traction devices are used to stretch a flaccid penis.
Jelqing is similar to massaging the penis, but it involves more pressure applied.
Today, most “guides” recommend waiting until the penis is almost erect, then using lube, apply pressure around the base of the shaft (closer to the pubic bone) and slide your hand towards the end while applying pressure, as if “milking” the penis.
However, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of harm if done correctly, and may have other beneficial effects (that don’t necessarily involve increasing the size of the penis).
It can be a way for men to get more comfortable with their erections and themselves, noticing the difference between flaccid length and erect length, both of which can help decrease anxiety around erection size.
That being said, all those benefits are possible if done correctly. Like any of these techniques, doing them wrong can cause permanent damage to the penile tissue and blood vessels.
Jelqing incorrectly can create bruising, problems with the erection (such as erectile dysfunction) and issues with curvature of the penis.
So be careful and it is important to note that there is a lack of evidence that it will actually work.
Genuine viagra. You’ll never look back.
3. Penis Enhancement Surgeries
There are multiple types of surgeries, including implants, fat injection, and plastic surgery.
This specific type of operation is much like a breast augmentation for women, entering a silicone implant into the penis.
However, these surgeries are costly and have many potential risks.
Fat injections are also a quick and less-invasive liposuction-type procedure where the patient’s own fat is taken from somewhere else in the body and injected into the penis.
As far as other surgeries go, there are two basic types: lengthening the penis and widening the penis. The surgery for lengthening the penis includes cutting the ligament that connects the penis to the pelvic bone.
This makes a little more of the shaft visible on the outside of the body, but only on average less than an inch.
The most it does is really an illusion in how much of the penis is visible and doesn’t actually lengthen the penis itself.
There is also a risk of the ligament reattaching itself after the procedure, so in order to prevent this, the man would have to use weights or a stretching routine/service daily.
Another, less invasive, surgery is available for some men whose scrotum attaches higher up on the shaft.
This out-patient procedure detaches it and reattaches it lower, which, similar to the other surgery, only reveals more of the penis without actually making it any larger.
More controversial procedures come with operations to widen the penis, which include fat implants, tissue grafts, and implants.
Many penile lengthening/widening surgeries have more risks associated with them than getting an implant, including nerve damage, reduced sensitivity, trouble getting an erection, and scarring that can actually cause the penis to be shorter than it was to start off with.
Additionally, none of these procedures have been proven safe or effective by the American Urologic Association, so if any of these are possibilities, please proceed with extreme caution and weigh the pros and cons before making a decision like surgery.
4. Losing Weight and Shaving
Not that this has anything to do with actual length, but considering that the penis already looks smaller when viewed from above than when viewed directly from the front or the side, the inability to see the penis may make men think theirs is smaller than it actually is to both you and a partner.
In addition to a decrease in visible size, there are many other sexual health issues associated with being overweight/weight gain:
- Low self-esteem: Extra weight is likely to cause a depletion of confidence, which can impact the way men see themselves (and their penis), as well as a general increase of anxiety and depression, which can lead to a performance issue. If a partner is not satisfied, men may believe it’s because of their penis size.
- Reduced stamina: Many men will admit that their overall health declines when they gain weight. Any extra weight on the cardio-vascular system will decrease its output, taking a toll on the amount of time men can engage in physically demanding sexual activity.
- Skin problems: When skin folds are present, the probability of skin issues increases with the perpetual issue of sweaty skin folds that can get difficult to clean. When the penis is caught between one of those folds, it can cause a lot of problems with the penis itself, including thrush, tinea cruris, and crotch rot.
- Loss of sensation: There are thousands of nerve endings in the end of the penis, and when excess fat squishes some of those nerves, it can cause a loss of sensation, which can make sexual activity less fun for desirable.
- Circulation problems: Excess weight is known to cause circulation problems, but it’s not just the heart that can be affected. Blood flow to the penis can also diminish when there’s extra fat in the body, which can cause an incomplete erection or erectile dysfunction.
Even if there’s not a lot of fat covering the penis, most of the time, shaving pubic hair can cause the penis to look bigger.
It won’t make a difference in the length or performance ability, but if you’re concerned about how it looks to a partner, taking away a lot of hair around the base can create a more visible shaft.
5. Medications for Increasing Penis Size
An estimated 18.4% of men over the age of 20 will experience some type of erectile dysfunction over the course of their lives.
If performance and confidence could be increased by a fuller erection, there are two big-name prescriptions on the market that are marketed towards men: Cialis and Viagra.
While both medications claim to help men have harder, longer-lasting erections, the main difference between the two medications is how fast they begin working and how long they stay in the system.
Everyone reacts differently to medications, and the effectiveness could depend on any kind of meal that’s eaten with the medication (for example, longer absorption time if a meal high in fat is eaten before taking the medication).
But generally, Viagra works faster, giving an erection up to an hour after taking it, while Cialis takes a little bit longer, kicking in around two hours after taking it.
However, Cialis lasts much longer, claiming the ability to get an erection any time within a 36-hour window versus the five-hour window you get with Viagra.
Which one is right for each individual depends on the side effects that are experienced. If you experience a lot of adverse side effects, it may be better to get in your system and out of your system as quickly as possible.
Read our article: “Cialis vs. Viagra”
Both have similar common side effects, so talk with your doctor before trying either of these to see which works best for you.
If you’re trying to skip the waiting room and order through a website, you have options like Hims.
6. Natural Remedies
There are many natural remedies that you can try, but most of them are marketed more towards ED than increasing the length of an otherwise healthy and well-functioning penis.
- Panax ginseng: Red ginseng has been researched quite heavily with some proven effectiveness at helping with ED. There are currently more studies being done on how exactly red ginseng helps to combat ED.
- Rhodiola rosea: In a small study of 35 men, 26 that were given rhodiola rosea had significantly improved sexual performance, increased energy, and reduced fatigue. More research is currently being done on effectiveness and safety.
7. Address Underlying Health Issues
There can be many causes for small penis and erectile dysfunction, but it’s important to address any that are caused by underlying health issues.
In many cases, ED has a physical cause, which can include:
- Heart disease
- High cholesterol or blood pressure
- Sleep disorders
- There are also psychological factors that can cause a lack of sexual desire, such as depression, stress, or relationship problems.
- Tobacco use can also cause the constriction of blood vessels, so quitting smoking may be an easy way to see if that was the cause all along!
Talk to your doctor if you feel like you’re experiencing any of these physical or psychological symptoms as a cause of your ED.
Sometimes it can be a combination of the two or an underlying health condition that you previously weren’t aware of. It’s not something to be embarrassed to discuss with your doctor. You’re not the only one!
Genuine Cialis has your back all weekend.
Increasing Penis Size
All of the tactics listed above have their pros and cons, and if you’re willing to take the risk, make help in increasing the size of your erection.
But odds are, you’re most likely just fine. 99% of men have a penis that is completely adequate.
The most important thing is to focus on your own confidence, and then worry about the size of your penis.
Most women are completely satisfied with an average or even below-average penis, and most of the time, you’re your own worst critic!
Trust your skills and you’ll be fine!
[Also read: 10 Ways to Improve Your Sexual Health]